Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Not a word for two years, then two posts in one night

I just bought this for my bathroom:


Do I have it in my budget to buy this right now? Well...... no. But it wasn't something that required a second mortgage or credit of any kind, and I don't buy something if I can't find the cash to pay for it, anyway (the only credit I have is my mortgage and I'm trying to get that paid off as soon as possible). But still, this will take a combination of creative rearranging and doing without to pay for it, but I just couldn't risk that someone else would buy it before I could more easily figure out how to pay for it.

I'm not someone who needs "things" to be happy, and yet there are things that make me feel happy. I love that this is at least roughly from the original period of this house (1920s/30s). I love imagining it being used for many generations -- little hands struggling to reach for a cup and lined hands dropping his teeth into a cup, toothbrushes and shaving powders and combs and tweezers and aspirin and valium taking their places and times on the shelf. I don't know if I believe in ghosts -- I'll accept that they might be possible, but have never seen or heard of any evidence that seemed credible to me -- but I do believe that somehow, well used and largely ignored household items pick up the energy from all the people who use them. How else can you explain that there can be an item that's 90 years old and a near-identical item that's newly made, and there is just something that emanates from the old and well-used item that can't be explained otherwise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Leslie,

I had a crush on you when I was in the 5th grade. You were a Sophomore and a cheerleader. 'Nuf said.

- Doug Wiggins

commercial painting edmonton said...

My thumbs up! Engaging and inspiring to read.