I'm going to be in San Francisco August 4-10 for a LinuxWorld conference, and I'm going to have some free time to play, but I'm not interested in the regular tourist stuff (been there, done all that). I'm hoping to find some native San Franciscans or regular visitors who can tell me about things such as:
- Great neighborhoods of old houses or business areas with some really cool architecture that would be good for a walking tour
- Museums that are definitely worth visiting (small or large, traditional or off-beat)
- Restaurants!!! I must have really really really good food every night.
- Shows, plays or concerts in the park, events that are going on that are worth visiting
- Anything else that you think is well worth seeing but is not part of the regular tourist routine.
I'm not going to have a rental car, and I'm going to be staying in the Union Square area, so everything has to be either accessible by public transportation or a not hideously expensive cab ride from there.
Thanks for any advice you can give!
(And there's not been any house updates lately because I haven't been doing diddly on the house, other than getting the attic organized, finally.)