Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"Oh, this will only take a half-hour..."

Well, it would have taken someone who knew what the heck she was doing "only a half-hour." For me, three.

The task? Sewing. Using the sewing machine that I bought 3-4 years ago and have now used 2-3 times. Attempting to finish the edges and then sew one freakin' 6" strip of material onto the bottom of a curtain, then sew strips of velcro along the top and bottom of that strip of material so that I can stuff a quilt-batting wrapped length of chain into the resulting pocket. Doing this to weight the curtain down to the floor so that all the first and second floor heat doesn't go whooshing under it, since the curtain is used to block the stairway to the third floor which we rarely use. Except for when I'm sewing, of course. It was kind of the equivalent of sewing one of those grain-filled "snakes" that you can get to block drafts at the bottoms of doors and windows onto the bottom of this curtain, except our occasional mouse problem dictates that using grain would be a Very Bad Idea, so I used chain and I wanted to make it removable (thus the velcro) so that the curtain could actually be washed if necessary.

Anyway, I'm babbling, but that's what happens when something you know a semi-competent person could do in half an hour takes you three. And along the way you misplace one part of the velcro then after 10 minutes of searching you find it on the back of your leg, attached to your sweatpants. And you forget the which direction to install the bobbin. And you realize after just ten minutes that the chair you chose to put into your sewing room is dreadfully uncomfortable and totally the wrong height. And your thread breaks about fifty zillion times. And you realize after three minutes that if you're going sew even small projects you need some decent light in that room, because you're old and therefor half-blind and even with your reading glasses on you can't see to thread the damned needle. Which you have to do over and over because of the thread breaking. And you feel ashamed because your mother sews so well (mostly quilts) that she owns six sewing machines (and variations thereof) including one which costs more than your car, and in theory you should have inherited at least one tiny spec of her aptitude. Plus she would have had that done in ten minutes, not thirty, even if she only used one hand. Then feel you resentful because one of the reason you don't like to sew is because in high school she forced you to sew every time you were on restriction, and you were on restriction a LOT.

Anyway, it's done, and the curtain is no longer pulled up by a draft of hot air looking for the highest spot in the house*. I'd take a picture but I'm more worn out and my back hurts more than if I'd just totally reorganized the garage.

Bleh.

*I originally wrote "a draft of hot air looking to get high" but I decided it wasn't appropriate, but it does tell you a bit about how frazzled I am by this if that's where my brain is going...

3 comments:

Dara said...

LOL... now you know why I own a sewing machine and STILL persist on doing stuff like that by hand. It may take me 10x as long, but it's soothing rather than frustrating work. Most of the curtains I've made from bedspreads and the like, I've put the rod pockets in by hand.

Norm Deplume said...

I love sewing, but sewing is never ever quick for me, even little things. It took me two days to make the cafe curtains for my dining room.

How's the knitting going?

Leslie said...

The knitting?!? bwaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Well, I have gottten all of the knitting stuff that people gave me very nicely organized, with the yarn in my Granny's old yarn basket.

And I have determined that I am simply NOT someone who is able to teach myself knitting.

There is a class coming up in January at the nearest knitting shop (about 30 miles away) which I plan to take. I have also convinced a friend of mine that once she opens her yarn shop in Baltimore, she needs to have a "knitting boot camp" - a full day (well, maybe 4-6 hours) of helping folks like me learn how to knit.