Sunday, March 16, 2008

Grill explosion

Yesterday, about 20 minutes before I planned to slap this beautiful thick porterhouse from a local farm which raises all-natural pastured cattle (thanks, CSA!), I went out and fired up the grill. Everything lit just fine so I closed the lid and came inside. This is what I found when I went back out:


(there was more soot yesterday evening before last night's light rain)

And this was on the ground about 2' in front of the grill:


That's a mangled, melted burner knob, in case you couldn't tell.

Since the grill was nice and hot and running, and I wasn't about to let this steak go to waste, I went ahead and cooked the steak (standing back as much as I could), but I'm going to get something replaced/fixed before I use it again, that's for sure!

I just feel a little freaked out about what must have happened. It looks to me as if flames were shooting out from behind the knob, possibly even a big whoosh of fire out from around the knob (else why would it have come off and ended up so far in front of the grill?). If anyone has a clue as to what might have caused this, I'd appreciate you letting me know!

The grill's less than a year old so I'm contacting their warranty service number tomorrow. Let's hope that it's not a royal PITA to get it fixed, something like "well, box it up and ship it to us, at your cost, of course..."

3 comments:

Muskego Jeff said...

Looks like the flame was coming up under the knob, probably from a bad control valve. I'd recommend against using it until it's fixed, as that valve may still be leaking gas.

If it comes down to getting a new grill, I can't recommend Weber strongly enough. I've got a Weber gasser, a full-size Weber charcoal grill, a Weber smoker, and a Weber Smokey Joe, and not only have I had zero problems, but they all work like new after years of service. I've never had to use it, but their service/support department are said to be the best in the industry.

Anonymous said...

You might have spider webs in the tubes leading to the knobs.

Kathy from NJ

Joanne said...

What a trooper--I don't think I would have been brave enough to continue cooking!